Monday, February 14, 2011

Senses

Epicurus beliefs in metaphysics is that we only know through the senses. After learning about Epicurus' concepts in class today I was slightly frustrated. I could have used him in my paper to help me argue against the two world theory. However, i used Descartes which was beneficial as well. Actually, Descartes and Epicurus share similar beliefs. They both believe you learn through the senses via experience. Moreover, Epicurus goes into that atoms and void exist for each other. Furthermore, Epicurus uses his metaphysics to explain how nature is mechanistic. I agree with the majority of what Epicurus said, but I don't understand how he gets the theory that things happen strictly by chance. The argument definitely has flaws. Some other problems with his concept is when he states sensation is truth but goes wrong with reason. I do believe he tends to go toward relativism. However, i do agree we learn through the senses it is the fundamental truth and the objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment