Thursday, February 17, 2011

Suspension and Epicurean Philosophy



So, I know that this is probably a far stretch, but talking about the Epicurean notions of pleasure and pain prompted me to think about masochism and body modifications. My question being, how does this relate to people who enjoy pain or to people who experience pain in order to achieve some sort of goal. Suspension is a form of body modification where an individual is suspended by cables. These cables are attached to the person through hooks which are pierced into his or her skin. This may sound absurd and unnecessary, but there are people who take the experience of being suspended very seriously, and many take offense to people gawking at the site of it. I have had the opportunity to talk to a girl who has experienced suspension, and she said that the day she was pierced and suspended was one of the most spiritually liberating days of her life. Apparently, there are numerous appeals to the experience, but many claim to attain a sort of transcendence from reality and have difficulty describing it in detail to others. Regardless, I have posted the link to an article from pschologytoday.com, which I think gives a psychological account of suspension that is far more clear and concise than I would ever be able to, so, if you are interested, you may want to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment