Monday, April 11, 2011

Ancient Philosophy in Hegel

a few times in class we have brought up the the parallel between the way that Hegel posits his idea of the spirit and how it relates to the All Soul. They have many similarities in them, the main one being that the I or Soul in the case of the Neo-Platonist's must look at itself in order to reach Unity. Hegel's Spirit is a lot like this but in many ways it is different. The most obvious difference between the two is Hegel's focus on perception that is not present in the Neo-Platonist thought. Being that the I cannot directly look back at itself but must rather look at itself contemplating itself. Not: I->I ; but I->(I->object). Upon contemplating the two of them, I came to the realization that in many ways it has a connection to skepticism as well. Though it does claim that the spirit is something that one can know (which goes against skeptical thought) it does get to its conclusion in a very skeptical way. Unlike the Soul which reaches its logical end because being perfect it has no need of looking further. Hegel in a very skeptical manner reaches the spirit by way of negation. I fail to grasp all of it myself but from what I understand the spirit is infinite by negation. Hegel claims that it is the negation of its self and therefore if you use skeptical philosophy it will still be the same. kind of like this. Hegel uses the term the Infinate interchangeably with spirit, because it is its negation. I just thought it was interesting to see Ancient Philosophy in Hegel, especially one that I wasn't expecting to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment