Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In class when we talked about how there is the relationship between the reader of a text and the text itself it got me wondering how the reader's interpenetration of what they are reading affects its ability to have its potential reached. If someone is reading and engaging with the text, then the text will have meaning but what if a reader of a text misses the point of what is being written? When the writer writes something with one meaning and the reader takes a meaning away that is unrelated the text still meaningful?
I started wondering this when I found this website that invited its users to provide interpretations for the rap lyrics of various songs. Some could high light a section of the song and if it the artist used a lot of figurative language, someone could break down what was being said in layman's terms and allow others to talk about how their interpenetration differed from the one provided. And when I read through the meanings of particular verses they were taking away my first instinct was to say that they were wrong and missed the point. But since it is their opinion who am I to say they were wrong? And I found myself wondering if any neo-platinous would be able to say that the meaning one takes away from a text is wrong. Maybe the only wrong interpenetration would be to conclude that there is no meaning and leave the text lifeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment