Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"We are simply the universe experiencing itself"

I discovered this quote several weeks ago on my tumblr account, and because of how I found it, I cannot validate completely who it’s by, but it was attributed to Mercurius. Nevertheless, it is very relevant to Neo-Platonism and the relationship of the subject and the object. It reminded me of the thought exercise that we did in which I imagined everything that exists being contained within a sphere, and then asked “where am I?” I was both the subject, surveying all of existence, and myself part of existence. Just now the question might could be asked "am I the universe or am I experiencing it?" Both. It is us we are it. This quotation points out that even though we experience the universe, we are certainly part of it. All is one, ourselves included.

No comments:

Post a Comment