Friday, April 15, 2011

Conceit to Knowledge

The other day I was studying for Thomas Aquinas test and there was one thing that really stood out to me as I was going through my notes.  Thomas Aquinas said one reason believers-in-God have faith is so they won't seem irrational to nonbelievers by trying to prove something with reason that can't be proven in that way.  A few days later I was thinking about this and also about our discussion of men of knowledge, men of simple ignorance, and men of double ignorance.  Before considering faith as something to prevent a nonbeliever from seeing a believer as irrational, I thought of belief in God as a conceit to knowledge.  But after considering the faith thing I would put a belief in God could into the simple ignorance category since the believer is not really making an irrational claim that he or she doesn't understand, but admitting that his or her belief is not completely proven by reason, but by his or her strong feelings about God (I don't know if that's exactly right, but do you get the idea sort of?).  It think it's beautiful when people feel so strongly about certain things that they don't need to justify them with logical explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment