Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gentner-What would Aristotle say?

BINGO.

I have just begun to read Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, Book 1. Within the first few pages, Aristotle discusses happiness, and what constitutes the good. Something that Aristotle begins with is a brief discussion of politics, which I find to be especially relevant to what is going on in the political spectrum today. When I think of politics today, I instantly think CORRUPTION. Why is that? No matter what political affiliation, I would guess that at least 90% of local, state, and federal politicians have ulterior motives. Sad to say it, but it's true. Today, Chris and I ate lunch together, and he was telling me about this group called, "The Family." I was unable to find any reliable information regarding this group (Chris, maybe you could provide a link in a comment if you get the chance, or just share some of your knowledge), but, basically, it is a group of people who are hired from within the White House. This group appears genuine in their desire for involvement, but they have ulterior motives, and they also have a lot of influence from within. Regardless, it is not only the politicians who are corrupt, but I would like to argue that the public, through a lack of education regarding what is going on in society, coupled with a love for drama, has created a world in which politics can not honestly be taken seriously. I do not generally watch television, but the only time that I have ever seen anything regarding President Obama on TV are times when what I am watching is completely irrelevant to anything in politics. What do I hear? I hear about the president's new puppy, or I hear about what dress Michelle Obama wore to some dinner the other night, or I hear about how Obama is going grey. Oh how will he deal with this one?

How does this relate to Aristotle's Ethics? On page 2, Aristotle argues that government, namely the "political sciences" must be studied and enacted within cities and/or states. Aristotle believes that politics are necessary to promote good for the many. He argues that there are certain goods which trump others, and the good of the state trumps the good of the individual, which is why there is a need for political regulation-to promote the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Sadly, our society has lost sight of that. Today's political realm is closer to Sophistry than democracy. Politicians use rhetoric in order to persuade us instead of attempting to properly represent their people so as to promote the good. This is something that I believe both Socrates and Aristotle would be appalled to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment