Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Pleasure after Pain

This week I had a conversation with a friend of mine about a break up they were going through. Honestly reading the Phaedo and understanding the relationship between pain and pleasure helped me give advice to my friend. Socrates described pleasure as the feeling after pain. He used the analogy of chains as a bond and how it hurts, and when the chains are released you feel pleasure. Socrates was using this analogy to refer to death. I assume being in prison and in a state of unhappiness is the pain. And death is the release of pain. I used this story to describe the break up. My friend was in pain and the relationship was a state of unhappiness. The breakup, which is the death allows for a pleasure of a new beginning. Like death, it is just a form of the beginning of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment