Friday, January 21, 2011

"Suicide cannot be considered an end of life for which I should be the unique foundation. Since it is an act of my life, indeed, it itself requires a meaning which only the future can give to it; but as it is the last act of my life, it is denied this future. Thus it remains totally undetermined. If I escape death or if I "misfire," shall I not judge later that my suicide was cowardice? Will the outcome not show me that other solutions were possible? But since these solutions can only be my own projects, they can appear only if I live. Suicide is an absurdity which causes my life to submerged in the absurd." - Jean-Paul Sartre, Being and Nothingness

Socrates' bit on suicide reminded me of the above passage.  Here is what Socrates had to say on the subject:
"...as most things which are evil may be accidentally good, this is to be the only exception (for may not death, too, be better than life in some cases?), and why, when a man is better dead, he is no permitted to be his own benefactor, but must wait for the hand of another...  There is a doctrine uttered in secret that man is prisoner who has not right to open the door of his prison and run away; this is a great mystery which I do not understand.  Yet I, too, believe that the gods are our guardians, and that we are a possession of theirs.  Do you not agree?"

Socrates and Sartre both frown upon suicide, but for different reasons.  One major reason that Sartre frowns upon suicide was that he believes that death in general takes all meaning away from life, but Socrates believes that there is something even better after death if is prepared for it as a result of practicing philosophy.  Socrates' reason for not supporting suicide has to do with respect for the gods, while Sartre's reason has to do just with one's own life.  Socrates is unsure of why he believes that man "has no right to open the door of his prison and run away" as he says that it is a "great mystery," while Sartre never discusses man's "right" to do so.  Socrates expects there to be something else after life, while Sartre does not.

I was hoping to find some interesting connections between these viewpoints, but am having trouble.  Maybe I missed something, and maybe someone else can find some(?)


No comments:

Post a Comment