Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Importance of a Skeptic Attitude


I will admit that I, initially, abhorred the skeptics. I have to say that they are still not exactly my favorite hellenistic movement, but I came across an article on the internet which argued that it is "right" to be a modern day skeptic. The link is posted below. To summarize the article briefly, the author talks about the necessity in questioning truths that have, previously, been held as immune to any criticism. Included in the list of truths which have been previously held as immune to criticism is the geocentric theory, which we are all familiar with. As I thought more about skepticism, I realized the importance of at least questioning everything I am told, because there is clearly danger in accepting things at face value.

http://www.paduiblog.com/pa-dui/why-it-is-right-to-be-a-modern-day-skeptic-the-need-to-continue-to-challenge-sacred-cows-paradigm-shift/

Having said all of that, however, I do believe that we, as humans, are capable of assenting to knowledge, and this is where I find validity in the logic of the Stoics.

No comments:

Post a Comment