Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What is the Stoic missing out on?

I think that to be a Stoic is to suppress one's personality and limit one's life.  Living with the intent to avoid suffering is very limiting, and the most boring world would be one in which everyone followed the Stoic philosophy.  The greatest works of art have been created by people in states of ecstasy and agony, and the most interesting stories in history are about people who fully experienced and lived with their emotions.  I think that the real way to live is to feel all your feelings to their highest capacities, and that experiencing something really exhilarating at the expense of feeling misery later is absolutely worth it.
I hate the idea of not favoring one's loved ones.  I think that strong connections between people are really beautiful, and to say,"I don't really love my son specifically, I just love humans in general," is to miss out on an important aspect of life.  I'm not religious, but I think it's beautiful when people say they can feel their loved ones are watching down on them, or that they feel their ghosts.  Nobody would ever feel this way if it weren't for these intense bonds between people.

No comments:

Post a Comment