Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Oh So Confusing Lucian.


So, after reading Philosophies for Sale, which I found to be utterly absurd in the most hilarious way possible, I began to wonder if there were anything which would have satisfied Lucian. He seems to be one of the most critical men of the hellenistic philosophies, but Doctor Layne also mentioned in class that he was somewhat of a Cynic. It is ironic to me that a man who was so critical could actually identify with one particular philosophy, namely a philosophy which seems, in my opinion, to be far more absurd than, let us say, Stoicism or even Skepticism. I understand that he saw countless flaws within the logic of the Stoics, but, I, personally, would rather adhere to some sort of rational dogma than to go around flaunting my crazed ways in order to prove a point. In my opinion, the cynics wasted too much time concerning themselves with others. At the same time, however, it could be said that in that their insane style of living was flaunted for all to see in the hopes that it could inspire others to renounce their worldly possessions in order to live alive of virtue and truth. In this respect, I do understand their intent. The only problem is, though, that I feel as if people thought the Cynics to be merely insane, which would ultimately deter anyone from desiring the life of a Cynic.

No comments:

Post a Comment